Wednesday, January 9, 2019

`Umar Ibn al-Khattaab: A caring father

بسم الله والحمد لله والصلاة والسلام على رسول الله ، وبعد

🌟 He is always remembered for his anger and stern stance against his enemies.

🌟 He is always remembered for his strong faith that even Shayaateen would change their routes when `Umar used to pass by.

🚫 He is also wrongly accused of burying alive his infant daughter. [This is a false report and it has already been clarified in the book: “Saheeh al-Seerah]

🌟 What most people do not remember is that `Umar was also a loving and caring father.

🌟 This narration proves that both parents are required in the lives of the children for their proper upbringing.

🌟 Children can be raised by a single parent (a single father, or a single mother), but they do miss out on the combined care and love of their parents.

🌟 A father’s care is equally important as a mother’s love for the children.

🚫 Children of divorced parents have a difficult upbringing. They are traumatized and are psychologically disturbed for the rest of their lives, and which they may pass on to their children.

🌟 A father is more capable of finding/identifying a proper husband for his daughter, and the mother is more capable of finding/identifying a proper bride for her son.

Narrated `Abdullaah bin `Umar: (my father) `Umar bin Al-Khattaab said: "When (my daughter) Hafsah bint `Umar lost her husband, Khunais bin Hudhaifah As-Sahrni رضي الله عنه, who was one of the companions of Allaah's Messenger and had fought in the battle of Badr and had died in Madeenah, I met `Uthmaan bin `Affaan and suggested that he should marry Hafsah saying: "If you wish, I will marry Hafsah bint `Umar to you,” on that, he said, 'I will think it over.' I waited for a few days and then he said to me. 'I am of the opinion that I cannot marry at present.' Then I met Abu Bakr and said: “If you wish, I will marry you, Hafsah bint `Umar.” He (Abu Bakr) remained silent and did not utter any word to me in reply and I became more angry with him than I was with `Uthmaan. Some days later, Allaah's Messenger demanded her hand in marriage and I married her to him. Later on Abu Bakr met me and said: "Perhaps you were angry with me when you offered me Hafsah for marriage and I gave no reply to you?” I said: 'Yes.' Abu Bakr said: 'Nothing prevented me from accepting your offer except that I learned that Allaah's Messenger had referred to the issue of Hafsah and I did not want to disclose the secret of Allaah's Messenger , but had he (i.e. the Prophet ) given her up I would surely have accepted her."
📚 [Saheeh al-Bukhaaree (4005, 5122, 5129, 5145)]

No comments:

Post a Comment